Monday, November 5, 2012

Classic and Modern Sauces

This past Saturday (November 3rd), the school had arranged a fabulous trip:  A bus trip to Prince Edward County to explore wine country, tasting wine and cheese at three different stops and returning to the school nearly 13 hours later.  It was right up my alley, and reminded me so much of my time in France, so I went to visit Sara in the office to give my RSVP.

When I told Sara why I was there, she looked a little sad.  The last spot had just been filled on the trip, so there wasn’t any room for me to go.  She put me on a waiting list, just in case someone had to cancel their seat, and wished me luck.

Just as I got to the door, she called me back in.  “Since you’re free that day,” she said, looking back and forth at me and at her computer screen, “would you be willing to be a Demo Assistant for the ‘Classic and Modern Sauces’ short course?”  I thought about it.  I didn’t really think I was qualified to do that…but how could I say no to a question worded like that?  “No, Sara, I would be absolutely unwilling to help out.  I’ll sit at home and hope someone can’t go on the awesome trip to wine country.”  So, I agreed, reluctantly, to spend the day at school helping people make sauce.

Perhaps it was a little naïve of me, but I figured that this demo wouldn’t be very full.  I mean, if I saw a class entitled “Classic and Modern Sauces” on a list of courses, I think I’d automatically rule that one out of my preferences.  After all, how much application do French sauces really have in a home kitchen?  And what fun would it be to return home with three containers full of sauce?  I was pretty sure it would be a small class.

I showed up, as directed, one hour before the demo was to begin.  My instructions were to help the chefs with anything they asked, and I was a little nervous.  The cuisine chefs are notoriously more intense than the pastry chefs, and I was definitely (though the office disagreed) not qualified for this.

To my pleasant surprise, one of the two chefs was Chef Hervé, my favorite pastry chef, and the other was Chef Didier, a cuisine chef with whom I have been acquainted, and who has always been polite to me.  Chef Hervé laughed a little at the thought of a pastry student helping with a cuisine demo, but said that I could come in handy, and asked me to set bottles of water on the table and run the camera for the demonstration portion.  Can do, Chef!

When Chef Didier was ready to begin the demo, he walked over to me and told me, politely, that it was unnecessary that I was by the camera, and that he would rather Chef Hervé do it.  I resigned to the back of the room with the other three students (all cuisine upper-classmen) and took notes the entire demo.  I realized why Chef Didier wanted Hervé behind the counter with him:  this is the one time he could get away with teaching a Demo in French, so he wanted Chef Hervé to be his translator.  The class was a great opportunity to practice my French, and I found that I would have done a pretty good job translating for Chef Didier if he had asked me to.

The demo was interesting, but not terribly captivating.  The Chef made five different sauces, with the students (adults, mostly in their 30’s to 50’s) doing three in their practical.  I paid close attention and took really detailed notes, fully aware that students would be asking me questions about how to perform sauces that I had never tasted, nevertheless successfully mastered.

After tasting the Chef’s finished products (which were all amazing, of course), the other students and I cleaned up the kitchen and prepared to lead our two classes (each about a quarter of the people in the demo) to their lab kitchens.  I had been chosen to work in Chef Didier’s kitchen, since it is widely known that he much prefers to speak in French because his English isn’t great, and I let it slip to one of the cuisine students that I am fluent. 

As soon as I led the class to the kitchen, Chef is really upset, quickly explaining to me (in French) that the chicken stock and flour is nowhere to be found, and that it was supposed to already be at each student’s station.  Not liking the fact that he was already upset, I quickly descended into the production kitchen, ready to haul a huge bucket of chicken stock and a bag of flour back up to the lab kitchen.  Lucky for my tiny muscles, though, I discovered the problem:  the students who set up the labs simply forgot our second tray of ingredients in the production fridge.  So I hauled the tray (which was huge and probably 35 pounds) to the kitchen and saved the day.

The students were great.  Some of them were very comfortable in this group-kitchen situation, and others were clearly not.  Chef Didier (like many of the cuisine chefs) has a tendency to throw pots and smack the counter and other loud gestures, and every time this kind of thing happened, half of the room jumped and their eyes got big.  My job was easy and difficult, all at once.  I was to walk around the room, checking on everyone’s sauces, and give the students whatever they needed.  If they needed something like an extra bowl or another egg yolk, life was good.  If they needed advice and direction, I had a choice: guess according to what I saw in the demo or call the Chef (who was always busy) over to my student.  Luckily, the choice was usually pretty easy, and no one failed a sauce because of my misdirection.

A few students burned themselves, so a good portion of my time was spent tending to their wounds, which was a legitimate function for me in the cuisine kitchen.

When everyone had finished, the other student in my kitchen and I cleaned up, chased students down who forgot things in the kitchen, returned unused ingredients to the production kitchen in the basement, and went home.  It was a long and tiring day, lasting from 10:30am to 4:00pm, but it was fulfilling.  Though I don’t think I would volunteer to help with another cuisine demo (I maybe got a little lucky with the simplicity of sauce), I would definitely do a pastry one.

The best news in all of this: Not only did I get this great experience and some great conversation with two chefs, but there were so many people on the waiting list for the Wine and Cheese trip that they scheduled a second one in a few weeks, and I am automatically on the list.  Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment