Saturday, December 8, 2012

Marshmallow Time


A little over halfway through the Basic Pastry program there is a written exam, worth 10% of our final grade.  It was a multiple choice exam, containing many of the same types of questions that appear on our weekly (un-graded) quizzes.  The quiz came just as the weather was starting to turn cool with a hint of winter, so I decided to take one of my study breaks to finally teach myself how to make gourmet marshmallows.

Homemade peppermint marshmallows are something I’ve had my eye on for a few winters, but just haven’t taken the time to learn.  There didn’t seem to be a more perfect time, as hot cocoa weather was quickly approaching.  I found a great recipe, took a quick trip to the grocery store (only a couple of blocks away), and began.

It was so great to do some “baking” at home, with my own equipment, and without a time limit.  I leisurely made the marshmallows, measuring ingredients as I went, rather than in advance, and listening to Christmas music.  My KitchenAid got some much-needed attention, and soon, my marshmallows were finished.

It was the best study break ever.  I finished them the next morning before class, shared some with my classmates, and we still have some in the kitchen.  They are so perfect in cocoa, melting completely into a layer of red- or green-swirled minty froth on top of the glass. 

The exam went well the next day, and ever since, I have been deep into the Christmas mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment