Friday, February 22, 2013

A Cultural Experience


My time here in Ottawa hasn’t only been a really great educational experience, but it has turned into a beautifully fulfilling and varied cultural experience.  At school, we get a (literal) taste of French culture, and I often find it funny how the English vocabulary of our chefs reflects the French language (phrases like, “He needs a little more time to bake,” "I needs to wait," and “I know it’s done when it’s as cold than my hands”).  But the cultural experience has expanded well past France, through my friends from all over the world.  Let’s start with the most obvious:

Canadian

When in Canada, do as the Canadians do.  I’ve tried to really fit in with my Canadian classmates to the point where they don’t see me as someone from another country, and I think I’ve really succeeded.  Even though our cultures are pretty similar, there are also distinct differences.  One, of course, is the Canadian accent.  Most of my friends have insisted that they don’t have one and that they can’t hear an accent in me, but I can feel myself slowly speaking like a Canadian.  Though my “O” only really comes out in the word “Sorry” (the usual Canadian substitute for “excuse me” or “pardon me”), I hear my accent more strongly in words with a soft “a,” like “package” or “accident.”  It’ll be interesting to see if my absorbed accent sticks around after returning home!
Grilled Chicken on Whole Wheat -- my favorite from Harvey's!

First time trying Poutine
Since moving here, we’ve tried things that are distinctly Canadian, like Poutine and Harvey’s (I’m convinced it’s the BEST burger chain in the world), local beers and Beaver Tails.  A couple weeks ago, though, Chad and I had the ultimate Canadian cultural experience: a live hockey game!  Ottawa has its own team, the Ottawa Senators, and for my birthday last May Chad gave me a coupon redeemable for a regular-season game.  We played the Carolina Hurricanes, and it was such a blast!  Our seats were great, we each got a free hot dog and big coke, we sat by an old lady who loved hockey (and wisely advised that I not keep my coat on the floor or it would get covered in beer), the announcer was bilingual, the mascot had a hotdog gun, they had two Zambonis, and they sang both the Canadian (which was sung in half-English and half-French) and the US national anthems.  It was so fun, and there was a great, addictive, Canadian energy in the arena that will be hard to forget.  We walked out of the arena into a blizzard, which just added to the entire experience.
We found the live organ that was playing the cheers!

What an exciting hockey game!

So excited to go inside for the game!

Sparty, the mascot, had a real hot dog gun!

Chinese

The center of the table spins, so we could grab more of
anything we wanted...and boy did we have choices!
One thing I have definitely learned since moving to Canada is the fact that “Chinese” food in the US is nothing like actual Chinese food.  I understood that Panda Express isn’t exactly authentic, but now I know that neither are the places that really claim to be.  For the Chinese New Year last weekend, a few of my friends invited us out for a real Chinese dinner to celebrate.  We went to a place called “May’s Garden,” where the chef is from Beijing and the food was the best that Jason (one of my friends from China) has found in town.  The menu was in Chinese and English, but Jenny (another friend from China) just laughed at it and assured us that the translations weren’t that great.  Jason ended up ordering for all of us (with Dina, Chad, and I not understanding a single word), and the feast was on its way.  The table was so functional, I couldn’t get over it.  There was a large glass turntable in the center where our server would set the food.  If we wanted more of anything, we just rotated the center and dished up ourselves – how smart!  The food began to come, and Jason and Jenny would tell us all about Chinese New Year traditions and meals at home.  
A Chinese New Year tradition: a steamed bass eaten right off
of his bones.  He was really tasty!
Cindy, who is from Taiwan, explained how her traditions are a little different.  It was a great learning experience, and I couldn’t believe how incredible the food was.  We had a beef soup, really soft tofu in spicy red sauce, delicious dumplings filled with ground meat and onions, sizzling peppered beef, Peking Duck (thin slices of duck wrapped in thin tortillas with green onions and special sauce), a bass that was steamed fresh (like, he was alive when we walked into the restaurant) for us, and for dessert: sticky rice balls filled with black sesame filling.  Everything was so delicious, and Chad and I succeeded in not having to ask for a fork.  We even ate the fish with chopsticks, which we picked right off the bones.  Jenny taught me how to say “Thank you,” and I finally got the courage to say it to our server while paying.  The conversation was lighthearted and enlightening, and the food was incredible.  What a great cultural experience!


Ukrainian

Remember the Pierogi Night post?  It was an awesome night, and a great glimpse into Ukrainian and Russian culture.

Indian

My friend Tanvi is from India, and before moving to Canada she lived in Indiana and New York City.  It is always so fun to hang out with her and chat, because the conversation usually turns to the differences between the US and Canada and the US and India.  One day, I mentioned that I had never tried Indian food, and she about fell over.  She promptly invited Chad and I to join her at her favorite Indian restaurant here in town: Haveli.  I was kind of nervous, since I am such a wimp with spicy food, but she assured me that there would be no problem there.

Wow – what an awesome meal!  Indian food is amazing, and I only tried one thing that was way too spicy for me.  Tanvi explained all the dishes to us (it was a buffet) and when and how they are usually eaten.  She showed me how to eat with my hands by pinching pieces of food with a piece of thin, bubbly naan bread.  Chad and I each found something that we really loved on the buffet, and we left stuffed.

Overall, I’ve been learning so much about the world and its many many cultures.  I’m so glad I came to Canada.  Chad and I are up next to have a gathering of our friends for an “American Night”…we’ll see what we come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment