Saturday, April 6, 2013

Final Exam and Graduation (Intermediate)


On March 18th, 2013, the time for the Intermediate Pastry Final Exam had arrived!  I had spent countless hours studying, and still didn’t feel completely ready for the Bon d’Economat (the portion of the exam where we were to write down a complete recipe from memory).  Many of my friends had their exam in the morning, and my group started in the afternoon.  I got up early, unable to sleep, and reviewed the recipes yet another time.  The list was:

  • Délice Caramel
  • Mousse au Chocolat Blanc et aux Oranges Sanguines
  • Bavarois aux Trois Chocolats
  • Opéra
  • Douceur Chocolat
  • Muscadines, Rocher, Honey Truffles
  • Pâte a Choux Petit Fours
  • Millefeuille Praliné
  • Ambassadeur Exotique
  • Marquise Chocolat
  • Tarte Passion-Framboise, Tarte Fraise Cassis
  • Croquembouche


I still had the feeling that I would be making a Délice Caramel that afternoon, but I studied all of the recipes' procedures, just to be safe.

When it was our time to begin the Bon d’Economat, everyone seemed nervous.  Just like last term, we sat quietly in a classroom and waited for the Chefs to distribute numbered envelopes to us.  We opened them, and had 30 minutes to write the recipe.

I had been given the Bavarois aux Trois Chocolats, a recipe I knew well!  I wrote it carefully, then waited outside, as instructed, until everyone was finished.  From the morning class, we had learned that the Bon d’Economat recipes were the ones we would also see in the practical, so we quietly questioned each other about the recipes we had written.  We determined that the practical would be the Bavarois aux Trois Chocolats, Opéra, Marquise Chocolat, and the Délice Caramel. 

When everyone had finished, we were ushered back in to the classroom, then called to the front to choose our practical envelopes.  In accordance with my mysterious suspicion, I drew the Délice Caramel.  We were given ten minutes to make notes to ourselves on our drawn recipes before reporting to the practical kitchen to begin.  I knew exactly what I needed to do, and I was driven by a need to do well.

The practical was great!  I was organized and everything went smoothly.  I was at the end of the kitchen, so Chef Arnaud was always standing next to me to get the best view of the entire class.  We joked around a little (which was strictly prohibited during the Basic Pastry exam) about him always being in my way to measure my granulated sugar.  I was confident and careful about executing the different techniques, and I thought back to what I had done wrong in the practical and right in my practice at home.

When it was all finished, my lady fingers were baked beautifully, my caramel Bavarian had tiny chunks in it, but nothing catastrophic, my pear mousse was nice, and I had time to make chocolate cigarettes.  My piping was good, and my caramel sauce was reduced to a great texture.  All in all, the cake was great, and I finished with time to spare.  I wish I could have taken a photo of the finished product!

I was happy with my performance, and confident that I would pass and graduate the next week.
Mom flew in to Ottawa on Thursday (the day before graduation) and Dad flew in on Friday morning.  We were pumped for an awesome week-long visit, and the first thing up: graduation!

Laughing at the Chef's pastry jokes during the ceremony
(Photo Credit: Nick Ghattas)
The graduation ceremony was held in the National Gallery of Canada, the same art museum in which it was held last term.  The ceremony was similar, as well; there were opening remarks, a short speech by a local successful chef, and the reading of the graduates’ names.  The ceremony was followed by a cocktail reception, during which we drank champaigne and ate various hors d’oeuvres being carried around by servers. 

We spoke to Chef Eric, who gave me great advice about how to interview for a pastry chef position in the States, and Chef Arnaud, who complimented me so heavily that I started to blush.  He told my parents that he can tell I really have a passion for what I do, that I always carefully execute techniques and have an eye for aesthetic detail.  He said that I am creative and always come up with graphic plating designs that he likes.  He said that I continue to excel, and that he can’t wait to see what I do in Superior.  We also briefly spoke with Chef Hervé, who teased me about how hard he was going to be on us in Superior.
Chef Eric and Me at the reception

Chef Arnaud and Me
Chad and I had our photo taken with friends and chatted with them about break plans. Mom, Dad, and I spoke with Chef Frederic about his class the following week.  Mom and Dad said that they were enrolled and really looking forward to it, and the Chef explained some of the dishes they would be making.  Needless to say, Chad and I were already excited about all the left-overs we would have by the end of the week.
We Graduated!
(Photo Credit: Nick Ghattas)

Our favorite hors d'oevre at the cocktail reception: a crispy
cheese cracker topped with goat cheese mousse and tomatoes.
We each must have had three or four of these that night!
We also ate smoked mussels, eggplant caviar, and Italian
smoked tuna.

We'll miss our friend Cynthia who graduated from Superior Pastry!
(Photo Credit: Leslie)

Hanging out at the reception with some champagne and nice
conversations with the chefs and our friends
(Photo Credit: Leslie)

After the reception, we headed to Milestones to have a proper dinner.  It was relaxing and delicious.  At the end of the meal, the waiter brought me and Mom each our own bowl of ice cream with cookies and sparklers; mine was for my graduation and Mom’s was for her birthday (two weeks later).  What a nice surprise!  It was the perfect end to Intermediate Pastry, and the perfect beginning to the following week – Spring Break with my parents taking a cooking class!
Celebrating at Milestones after graduation.  Mom decided
that we should also be celebrating Chad's completion
of his Master's Degree (in December), and I decided that
we should also be celebrating Mom's birthday.  We had
a lot to celebrate that night!

No comments:

Post a Comment